Thursday, March 19, 2015

Savant's Words in March of 2015




Some people--both African and African-American-- might be surprised at the number of American and African Blacks who actually LOVE each other. The haters on both sides are loud, but theirs aren't the only voices. When I speak of love I certainly do mean love of one's people, a kind of Pan-African solidarity. But sometimes it is interpersonal love between man and woman. One of the things that I, as a professor have been noticing among my black students, are the growing number who have African names, but without (or at least less than ordinary) African accents. When you engage them in conversation it sometimes turns out that they are children of an African couple who move here. But at other times--and this happens OFTEN--they are children of an African father and an African American mother. And some, who do not have an African name, turn out to have an African-American father and an African mother. I've a cousin who married a man from Mozambique, and a male cousin who married a beautiful woman from Ghana. While involved as a university student in the anti-apartheid (which spread like wild fire in Black America during the 1980s & early 90s), I became for some time romantically involved with a beautiful South African woman whom I met at a Black American church, an activist church in the tradition of Martin Luther King, and which was now involved in building support and solidarity for the resistance movement against the fascistic regime in South Africa. In my case, it was precisely in lieu of my SOCIAL ACTIVISM, my commitments as an AA revolutionary, that I met the lovely Mercy from South Africa. I have maintained connections, both political and personal, with Africans here in the USA. Some of them are colleagues in my university. So, the picture is more complex, and sometimes perplexing, than the ranting of the haters would have you believe.

-Savant

___________



Today a group called "TheFree ThoughtProject.com " posted a report that one state has now passed a LAW which makes it legal to SHOOT POLICE in self defense! Hmmmmm....I hope that law doesn't afford that right to whites only....or only to the well off. But it's an interesting idea. If I do have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness--if these are UNALIENABLE rights as the Declaration of Independence claims--then I see no reason why my human rights should be abrogated simply because the one who threatens me wears a badge. While I was student at Vanderbilt in Nashville, white cops entered thee house of Linda Sumler, supposedly saw a shot gun (which in fact didn't exist) and opened fired---killing Linda, making her husband a widow, and leaving her son (a toddler) motherless. As usual, Lt. Cobb was exonerated by the courts. Too bad he Sumlers didn't have a shot gun, and wasn't quicker on the draw than the cops. Only the courts would not likely to have exonerated Mr. or Mrs Sumler for defending their home and their child. It turns out the cops were even at the wrong house, and had no warrant. Duh....Now if citizens could as easily claim self defense as cops do, the cops would have to slow their roll. I believe he state which legalize armed force in self-defense was Indiana. Perhaps such legislation should be passed in every state, or maybe amended to some existing laws at the Federal level. That would certainly get the attention of this cops.

-Savant

_______________

In short,ifascist pig cops can gun down even UNARMED Black men, women and even children in "self defense", and then walk away scott free with the blessings of our bankrupt courts, then we should have a right--when we reasonably fear our lives are in danger---to shoot cops who threaten us with harm. And we should have as much latitude as do the police. And if courts can exonerate a cop even for the killing of little Tamir Rice, then we should be exonerated for killing HIGHLY ARMED pigs who endanger us.. My rights as a person and a citizen is NOT abrogated by the authority of your badge, officer.

-Savant

_______________


Yep. When the authors of the Declaration spoke of UNALIENABLE rights, they didn't mean only such rights as the existing statutes or the constituted authorities acknowledged. If someone threatens my life, I will SHOOT him or her. I don't care whether it's some scumbag ghetto dope dealer or some scumbag fascist pig cop...or someone higher up. If you endanger my unalienable rights you forfeit your own.

Whoever endangers my life with be thereby endangering his own, And if my foe (cop or not) happens to be a racist who things that black life does not matter, he will learn--too late--that it matters enough for me to kill him in defending it.

-Savant

__________



________________

I was speaking of introducing you a votre compatriot, Christine. From what I've read, Netanyahu is one of the rightist hardliners in Israeli politics; indeed, progressive Jewish folk in Baltimore have expressed to me their consternation at his election. I heard he said that there would be no Palestinian state as long as he was in power. But short of perpetual war or genocide, I don't see how the Israel/Palestine crisis can be resolved without a two-state solution. Unless Netanyahu has in mind something on the order of a Carthaginian peace---which Israeli journalist Neve Gordon once suggested to me to be the intention of at least the Israeli right wing---than I cannot imagine what he expects to accomplish by his hardline stance. La violence en Tunisie est tragique. It does seem that Tunisia got more out of le Printemps Arabe que les autre pays Arab. That makes the atrocities all the more tragic. But will these Islamist terrorist acts provoke the Tunisians to abrogate what progress toward democracy which they have made thus far? Will there be a retreat from freedom rather than a movement toward freedom? Et vous dite que le Parliament de France fais nouvelle loi repressive pour le lute contra le terrorisme? This is precisely what I've been worrying about. La violence des terrorists Islamique create the climate and the pretext for increasing secular fascism by Western republics. And increasing militarism. Peut-etre c'est le desire des Islamofascistes. Islamofascism encourages emerging Western fascism, which in turn reinforces Islamofascisme, which in turn, etc. Je crois que la liberte will prevail. But this is going to be a long and arduous struggle.

-Savant







________________

I'm sure you've heard about what happened to the prosperous Black community in Tulsa back in he 1920. And industrial working class and rising black bourgeois and petty bourgeois class DECIMATED by days of mob, police and (according to some reports) national guard violence. Even when blacks tried to play by the rules, racists changed the rules and we lose anyway. The whole business class, aspiring black capitalists, destroyed. I don't even believe in capitalism; but those blacks who did were destroyed for playing the game by the rules and succeeding. Or maybe you saw the film ROSEWOOD, about a fairly prosperous black rural town and community in Florida, made up of farmers, workers, and a few middle class folk---decimated by racist mobs and cops. (A white woman cheating on her husband gets her butt beat by the other man; since it's inconvenient to explain how she got those bruises, she said "I got raped by a black n****r!" Rosewood is destroyed, massacred, burned to the ground. So, even when playing by the rules our enemies either changed the rules, or chastise you for succeeding (against the odds) by the rules. Now, I say f___ the rules and to hell with the system. And to those who say we're not industrious or ambitious enough, I say "May the devil take you, and bad luck to you! To hell with the enemies and haters of my people!" Freedom or death!

-Savant





No comments: